Wednesday, December 1, 2010

A Son Forgotten

Mother Teresa said  "Today it is fashionable to talk about the poor. Unfortunately, it is not fashionable to talk with them."







 There is a piece of me that still lives in Ethiopia. Sometimes at night I look up at the stars thinking about a child, waking up in the morning on the other side of the world. As a family we made a promise not to simply bring children from Ethiopia into our home but we made a commitment to bring our home into Ethiopia.

We believe strongly that in order to raise children that love others first and desires to care about people the way God cares about them. We must first act in a way that models this love. As a family there is a boy that is the age of many of our nieces and nephews that lives in a remote village in the north of Ethiopia. Every month we send a practical gift of financial support to him and his family. In exchange for this support he writes us letters, and shares his heart with us. We know that in this region education, food, and the basics of life may not be within reach of a family without some outside help. It is a harsh reality but something that we only understand after visiting Ethiopia. It is not because his family is somehow different from us it is simply because his family was not blessed enough to be born in the US.

A few months ago he wrote me a letter and asked if I would be his father. Earlier in the letter he had explained that his Ethiopian father had passed away a few weeks ago. In the very next sentence he said all is well because now God has brought me a new father. While reading this letter I began to get tears in my eyes as this boy became the head of the household for his family. While he was asking me to be his father I know that he was struggling with the reality that he in fact was become the father to his siblings.The possibility of having to give up school to run his families small farm. The reality that the survival of his family may rest on his shoulders.

His story hits home in our family. We are fully aware that our little girl if still living in Ethiopia might be in a situation much like this one. We know by encouraging him through letters and emails (yes emails) reminds him that he can still be a kid in a grownup world. This is not a story to get a pat on the back but a call to get involved. A story that is one of thousands happening or waiting to happen.

While this website is dedicated to our story of adoption. It is important to know that adoption takes on all shapes and forms. If you would like more information on becoming a child's sponsor please email  me at mbyrd3@hotmail.com

If you have a story of your own and how a family you support has changed your life please share. We know we are not alone.





2 comments:

jkseevers said...

Hey Magan! Jeff just wrote about one of our Compassion children the other day... we've sponsored him for over 10 years! Here's what Jeff wrote:

When Katie and I first got married we made a commitment to give a portion of our income to those in need. I'll be honest and say that it wasn't much when we first started, however, we started small and began by sponsoring a child through Compassion International.

Well, Katie and I have now been married for over 16 years, and the child we started sponsoring? Well, he is now an adult. He just recently graduated from the program and as a result, wrote us a final letter. Here is an excerpt...

Dear sponsors, may the peace of God be with you. My siblings and me are very happy to have this opportunity to thank you for your determination to support me - when I did not know you. You stood in the positions of my parents I had lost in the Genocide (Rwanda). I was not an orphan because you were there for me. You clothed me, taught me about God, ...fed me, paid my scholarship until I completed my courses, ...I hold a diploma because of you.

If you don't think you can truly make a difference in the life of someone...think again. Think about it until you find the courage to open your heart and give.

http://www.compassion.com/

Janine said...

Hi, my name is Janine. Susan Graalman told me your story. My husband and I are just starting the adoption process for a Ethiopian child. I'm excited to follow your blog!